Bexley Deaf Club

20 Whitehall Lane

Slade Green



Back to Home Ramble at Knole Park - May 2008

On Sunday 4th May 2008, we were lucky to have such a lovely warm and bright weather. There were 16 persons and 6 dogs turned up for the rambling. Some of them arrived early for having a light breakfast. At 11.00am we decided not to wait longer for latecomers. After 11.00am David and Alison Foot arrived at last, they said there were awful traffic on M25 and A20 so they used a different route - they were lucky to make it just in time but unfortunately they missed breakfast.

I know some of them, who are usual ramblers but three new members joined, they are Derek Johnson, Nickolas Murley and John Jenner, so welcome them!

At 11.15am we began to walk from leisure centre car park to the gate then downhill to bottom end way to the “swing” gate for only one person a time access to Knole Park. It took about 5 minutes in all for 16 persons and 6 dogs having had managed to pass through this gate. We walk uphill to see lots of beautiful different kind of colour deer. Then we continue walk until we see impressive Knole House ahead but we walk pass it on a different path and onto golf course & had to stop to watch out dangerous flying golf balls hit by golf players afar. We then carry on walk to wooden bridge and see lovely ducks and ducklings in pond. I noticed some persons missing behind, I realise Jackie Wright, Jackie King and Janice Drive about 100 yards away because they were chatting each other too much. I told them come on and don't talk too much like old women.

After leaving the pond we walk towards pass the keeper's cottage, which look pretty old building and continue along very long straight on broad track between lots of chestnut trees & arrived at fork path after a mile then walk round the corner and see another very long path again. We were enjoying further walk with some chats each other. But some of them were getting hungry so took out their own packed lunch out of their rucksacks & continue eating as they walk along. After 5 miles, which took us about two and a half hours, we arrived at Knole House for a tearoom but no need to go inside because of too hot & sweating as they prefer to eat outside with their remaining own packed lunch on wooden chairs with tables. I noticed them worn out and felt good rest with chats for about an hour before some of them went to Toby Carvery for a dinner & drink.

It was a brilliant day for all of us, the ramblers. I will plan further rambling at a different place in September.